Krim take first win over CSM; Györ and FTC split the pointsArticle
«Go back

GROUP 2 REVIEW: Krim recorded an historic victory over CSM and significantly decreased their visitors’ chances of claiming second on the table, while Györ and FTC proved inseparable once again

Krim take first win over CSM; Györ and FTC split the points

One goal in the first 15 minutes of the second half was not nearly enough for CSM Bucuresti to challenge for the win against RK Krim Mercator in their second last match of the Women’s EHF Champions League Main Round. The Romanian side had an off afternoon in Slovenia and the home team took an historic victory, 23:22.

Already eliminated Krim dealt a serious blow to the Romanian side, whose chances for second place in the group are seriously slimmed.

Györ might be the only unbeaten team in the competition, but they could not win against FTC over 120 minutes. Like in the first game between the two sides, the deadlock could not be broken and the final whistle found a 32:32 draw.

  • Krim defeat CSM Bucuresti for the first time in history

  • CSM come close to matching their worst offensive performance – in the second leg of the quarter-finals last season, against Metz, when they scored 20 goals 

  • FTC are on their own five-game unbeaten run in the main round of the competition

  • Györ are still in first place, while FTC pull level with CSM and Vipers on 10 points

  • Vipers Kristiansand could secure second place in the group with a win against Thüringer HC on Sunday 

RK Krim Mercator (SLO) vs CSM Bucuresti (ROU) 23:22 (12:11)

Krim might have been already out of contention for a place in the quarter-finals, but had never won against CSM before. And they might have never got a better chance than on Saturday, when the Romanian powerhouse were missing no less than five key players.

Cristina Neagu and Amanda Kurtovic were already out for the season, and Majda Mehmedovic (appendicitis), Andrea Lekic (back injury) and Sabine Jacobsen (flu) joined forces to cause coach Dragan Djukic massive headaches regarding his line-up.

The woes were there to be seen in the first half, especially after the Romanian side lost left back Claudia Constantinescu to a red card.

As CSM relied heavily on their wings and line player Dragana Cvijic, Krim dictated the rhythm of the game. The Slovenian side did not particularly impress, with 50 per cent shot efficiency, but CSM had even more trouble in attack. Therefore, it was no surprise that Krim were leading 12:11 at the break.

Krim usually suffer due to their lack of depth and their short bench, but this time they limited CSM to only one goal scored in the first 15 minutes of the second half. It was a shocking 16:12 score line, as CSM could only convert 35 per cent of their attacks and coach Djukic could not find the key to unlock the Slovenian side’s defence.  

“Krim have won in all terms. We had too many problems and there was a red card for Claudia Constantinescu. After that we scored only one goal from nine metres and in the second half we had only one goal in 15 minutes – and that is what decided,” said CSM coach Djukic. 

CSM tried to mount a comeback that was never going to happen, despite Iulia Curea’s heroic display (nine goals), as their meagre attacking efficiency was always going to be their undoing. Ultimately, Krim took a narrow win, 23:22 – their first in the main round. 

“We were looking for solutions and with some luck we won at the end,” said Krim coach Uros Bregar. “We deserved the win cause we were in advantage the whole match.”

CSM’s fate is now out of their hands, and the Romanian side are facing a sharp fall in the rankings.

Györi Audi ETO KC (HUN) vs FTC-Rail Cargo Hungaria (HUN) 32:32 (15:13)

It was a game that neither team wanted to lose, irrespective of the fact that Györ had already clinched first place in the group. For FTC, the match was a continuation of the fight to pass CSM or Vipers in the final standings.

Ambitions were high and that was on display from the throw-off, when the guests took a 2:0 lead. Györ came back, with left back Anne Mette Hansen taking control of the game and scoring four goals in the first half.

The hosts led by as many as three, 10:7, but their lead was cut back to only one goal thanks to Nerea Pena’s efforts, who also tallied four in the first half.

It was back and forth in the second half, as both teams neglected their defence and engaged in a proper shoot-out. The hosts held the lead until the 46th minute, when – propelled by another superb game from Pena, who scored a game-high 12 goals – FTC took the lead thanks to 3:1 run, 27:26.

However, the two teams could not be separated. Exactly like in the first game, it was a 32:32 draw, with FTC tying the game off a goal from left wing Nadine Schatzl with 10 seconds to spare. Györ line player Crina Pintea scored five of her six goals in the second half to help the home side continue undefeated.

With the draw, Györ secured their 19th consecutive unbeaten game in the Women’s EHF Champions League, while FTC drew level with Vipers and CSM on 10 points. 

TEXT: Adrian Costeiu / cg