Revenge and first win for AlingsasArticle
«Go back

GROUP B MATCH REVIEW: Alingsas HK leave the bottom of the table with a three-goal win, the first group phase victory for a Swedish team in just over two years

Revenge and first win for Alingsas

Alingsas HK have avenged their 28:26 defeat away to Besiktad MOGAZ HT on Sunday, as the Swedish champions took a 27:24 win at home against the same opponent this evening.

VELUX EHF Champions League Group B

Alingsas HK (SWE) vs Besiktag MOGAZ HT (TUR) 27:24 (14:12)

HC Metalurg in Group A is now the only team in the VELUX EHF Champions League who is yet to take a single point this season. Alingsas, on the other hand, were able to muster up their first two points in the competition this evening, as they defeated Besiktas by three goals in front of 1,576 spectators in the Estrad Alingsas.

The Swedish champions made up for the 28:26 defeat to the Turkish champions in Istanbul last Sunday. This win comes as a big relief to Alingsas as it, along with their goal difference, takes them off the bottom spot in Group B.

Excellent performances by both goalkeepers contributed to keeping the final score relatively low. Yunus Ózmusul of Besiktas and Mikael Aggefors of Alingsas both kept their saving percentage above the 40 per cent mark throughout the match, but it was Alingsas' broader and more versatile squad that decided the matter.

The first 30 minutes looked like a carbon copy of the first half of the pervious Sunday's meeting in Istanbul, with Alingsas starting brighter and holding their two-goal lead for the greater parts of the first half. 

The Swedes found it difficult to keep hold of a three-goal lead, however, thanks to the young centre back Jesper Konradsson the Swedish outfit headed into the dressing room at half-time with a 13:10 advantage.

The Swedish champions found it difficult to widen the gap even further as the Turkish side kept the score to two for the early parts of the second half. This trend continued until Alingsas opened up a 17:12 gap, followed shortly by a 19:13 lead and managed to push it further at 22:16. Besiktas rallied to get themselves back into the game once again and reduce the gap to 25:23 with five minutes left.

However, this was too little too late for the Turkish side as the Swedish outfit closed out the game with a final score of 27:24.

TEXT: Peter Bruun / bc