Györ win Group C after narrow victoryArticle
«Go back

GROUP C MATCH REVIEW: Double champions go top of group and reach the main round with a tricky encounter with the Danish outfit Viborg

Györ win Group C after narrow victory

With two match days to spare, Györi Audi ETO KC are already sure to finish on top of Group C of the Women's EHF Champions League. The double Champions League winners had to overcome a shaky first half against Viborg HK for the second time within less than a week

Györi Audi ETO KC (HUN) vs Viborg HK (DEN) 22:20 (9:11)

Being four points ahead of Viborg HK and coming out on top in both head-to-heads between the two teams, means that Györi Audi ETO will leave Group C in poll position.

However, the Hungarian top side had to work harder this time out, than they had in the first meeting between the two teams last Sunday in Viborg.

In last week's game, Györ took a clear 30:25 win, but Hungarian affair was a considerably more equal encounter.

Györ were still missing injured right back Susann Müller while pregnant Anita Görbicz, who appeared on court last week to take Györ's penalty shots, was no
t on the team roster this time around.

Aniko Kovacsics took over Görbicz's position as playmaker and did well from the penalty spot, and also gave a stellar performance on the left wing position later in the match.

It was Viborg who got off to better start and were up by three goals on several occasions. A strong defence trumped Györ's offensive moves causing them to fumble and brought several of their attacks swiftly to an end.

This pressure resulted in the home team also missing quite a lot of opportunities against a brilliant Chana de Souza in the Viborg goal. 

The visitors benefited greatly from the wall they set up in defence and hit the net from numerous counter attacks, keeping them in the lead throughout the first 30 minutes.

From the start of the second half, though, the spectators in the Magvassy Mihaly Sporthall were greeted with a more determined Györ team who also used their physicality to their advantage swinging the momentum of the game in the Hungarian's favour.

Shortly after the break, hosts cruised past their opponents scoring the first five goals of the second half and changing the two goal deficit into a 14:11 lead.

For most of the second half Györ help onto up their lead of three or four goals, and despite Viborg's late rally, they could not catch up with their Hungarian hosts.

TEXT: Peter Bruun / bc