Seven-meter curse ruins Baia Mare's hopesArticle
«Go back

GROUP D MATCH REVIEW: Norwegian champions made it three out of three with a narrow win against Baia Mare

Seven-meter curse ruins Baia Mare's hopes

Larvik HK extended their perfect winning streak in the Women’s EHF Champions League Group D on Friday evening. The Norwegian powerhouse capitalised on HCM Baia Mare’s poor form at the penalty throw line and won 24:23 (12:13).

The Romanian outfit missed an amazing seven seven-metres shots.


HCM Baia Mare (ROU) vs Larvik HK (NOR) 23:24 (13:12)

As Larvik were preparing for their third consecutive win in the continent’s premium competition, HCM Baia Mare were still recovering from their painful 10-goal defeat, 24:34, against Metz Handball.

Against all odds, the Romanian team made a dream start against the Norwegian champions, as Larvik’s defence, the best in the European top competition after two rounds, had no answer for Baia Mare.

Powered by Paula Ungureanu’s five saves in the first eight minutes, hosts jumped to an impressive 5:2 lead. Not even an astonishing lack of concentration, proven by three 7-meter shots missed in a five-minute span, derailed Baia Mare off the track.  

It was, however, Alina Wojtas’ shots who brought back Larvik into the game. The Polish ace scored four goals from way behind the 9-meter line to tie the game, 8:8, after 15 minutes.

As Baia Mare’s defence worked almost perfectly, the Romanian side took back the lead and even managed to open a three-goal lead, 12:9. But Anja Hammerseng-Edin clever shots brought the visitors back into the game and the HCM lead shrank to only one goal at half-time, 13:12.

The second half was, as well, packed with a back-and-forth action. Baia Mare started well, but the Romanian momentum faded as the minutes progressed.

Several mishaps in the offensive phase meant that Larvik could complete a comeback. Twelve minutes to go the Norwegian powerhouse took the first lead, 21:20.

Baia Mare took back the lead, but costly misses from Do Nascimento and Davydenko from the 7-meter line kept Larvik in the game and the Scandinavians finished off the game in style, grabbing their third straight win, 24:23.

TEXT: Adrian Costeiu / br