Thanks, Itxako: Györ’s in the main roundArticle
«Go back

Wolgograd beat Larvik and reach next CL stage for the first time.

Thanks, Itxako: Györ’s in the main round

46 of 48 matches of the group phase have been played – an only two decisions still are to come on Sunday: After Krim, Viborg, Larvik, Valcea and Hypo, Wolgograd and Györ qualified for the main round as the teams five and six. Wolgograd beat Larvik and Györ took the profit of the surprising defeat of Zvezda in Itxako. On Sunday Györ will meet Valcea for the group final for the places one and two – but with advantages for Valcea. The last free place in the main round will be decided in the match Leipzig – Byasen on Sunday, and the Germans only need a draw to qualify for the next stage. Viborg finished the group phase with a victory against Koprivnica. FCK not only missed the main round, but also the qualification for the cupwinners cup by losing in Pogorica.

Group A:

Viborg HK – Podravka Koprivnica 36:26 (18:13)

Title defender Viborg HK finished the group phase with an outstanding victory against Podravka – and remain the only Danish team in Women’s Champions League, after Aalborg and FCK had been eliminated. For Viborg the clear victory was a revenge for the only defeat they deserved in Croatia in the first match. The Danish champions ends up with nine points and was known as winner of group A before, as Koprivnica didn’t have a chance to qualify for the main round in their last CL match of this season and didn’t even qualify for the cupwinners cup.. Even as Viborg had to replace Rikke Skov (knee problems) they didn’t have problems with the Croat champion. Playmaker Katrine Lunde Borgersen and Hungarian half back Monika Kovacsisz imprinted the match, aside goalkeeper Lunde Haraldsen made some important saves. Podravka didn’t have a chance in this total one sided match.

Group C:

Itxako SD – Zvezda Zvenigorod 31:23 (16:7)

Thanks to the first victory of Itxako in this season, Györ (six points) secured the second place in group C without playing, as they can’t be overtaken by the Russians (five points). By beating Valcea with a goal difference of more than five on Sunday, the Hungarians can become number one in this group. As Zvezda started very weak with a lot of technical mistakes, Itxako extended the lead very easy in the first half to nine goals. Zvezda reduced the gap to four goals after the break, but couldn’t turn the match again. In the very end, Zvezda resigned and the Spanish champion took their first victory very easily. After the 27:21 the match was decided. Alonso scored six goals for Itxako, Andryushina six for Zvezda. Now the CL winner of 2008 from Russia will play in the cupwinners cup, as the two points were worthless for Itxako, but highly important for Györ.

Group D:

Dinamo Wolgograd – Larvik HK 26:23 (10:10)

For the first time ever, both teams have reached the main round of the Champions League. Larvik had been qualified one match day before, now Wolgograd took the second place in group D by beating the Norwegians – and eliminated FCK from the next stage even before their match on late Saturday evening. Larvik travelled with only seven field players to Russia, and six of them scored. Mork was the topscorer for Larvik with eight goals, followed by Heidi Löke (7), who had scored an all-time Norwegian league record with 24 goals in one match in the last week. But for Larvik the defeat wasn’t a problem. Thanks to their strong defense and Kochenova’s seven goals Dinamo dominated the match in the second half after equal first 30 minutes. The match was close until the 17:17 in minute 45, before Wolgograd went on the winner’s way with a series of 7:1 goals.

Buducnost T-Mobile – FCK Handbold 26:22 (14:11)

By beating FCK, Buducnost remains in the European Cup competition and will go on in the cupwinners cup, for Copenhague the international season is over, as they were overtaken by the Montenegrinians with five to four points. The Danes resigned after the result of Wolgograd, as they couldn’t qualify for the main round anymore. 3500 spectators attended a tensioned game, in which Podgorica was mostly in lead. After the 7:7 the host went away to 14:11 at the break, but FCK returned and reduced the gap to 21:22. But in the last ten minutes Podgorica’s defense stood like a wall and FCK only scored one more goal.

TEXT: Björn Pazen